When do you need a Building Permit?

A Building Permit shall be required for any work which must conform to the Uniform Code and/or Energy Code, including, but not limited to, the construction, enlargement, alteration, improvement, removal, relocation, or demolition of any building or structure or any portion thereof, the installation of a fuel burning heating appliance, chimney or flue, and the excavation, filling or alteration of any land.

No Building Permit shall be required for work in any of the following categories:

  1. installation of swings and other playground equipment associated with a one- or two-family residence;
  2. installation of portable swimming pools associated with a one- or two-family residence, where such pools are designed for a water depth of less than 24 inches and are installed entirely above ground;
  3. installation of movable cases less than 5’-9” in height;
  4. painting, wallpapering, carpeting, or other similar finish work that does not change the surface fire rating;
  5. installation of listed portable electrical, plumbing, heating, ventilation or cooling equipment or appliances which does not require permanent utility connections;
  6. repairs with an estimated value not exceeding two thousand five dollars ($2,500), provided that such repairs do not involve:
    • the removal or cutting away of a load bearing wall, partition, or part thereof, or of any structural beam or load bearing component;
    • the removal or change of any required means of egress, or the rearrangement of parts of a structure in a manner which affects egress;
    • the enlargement, alteration, replacement, or relocation of any building system;
    • the removal from service of all or part of a fire protection system for any period of time.